I've created a new User Guide which have be viewed in
HTML format here, or in
Adobe Acrobat Reader here.
Format Page for Printing
Plucker is a free open source reader for the Palm OS. It has since been
ported to Pocket PC and Sharp Zaurus. I recommend using JPluck X as this is the
application that is built in to MyWard.
- Down load the latest version of JPluck from
http://jpluck.sourceforge.net/#download for your platform.
(*NOTE: There are two options for Windows. If you are unsure whether or not
you have the latest version of the Java runtime environment then choose the
second Windows install link!)
- Install JPluck. (Email
me if you have any problems with this step)
- Open JPluck X. From the menu select File -> Preferences.
- On the Documents tab, select you desired destination for converted
- For Palm OS I recommend HotSync
- For Pocket PC if you have folder that automatically syncs files, I
recommend using it.
Click OK when finished
- Install the Plucker reader on your device.
- For Palm OS there should be a folder included in your JPluck
installation called "Plucker 1.6.1" (Or whatever the latest version is).
Inside this folder there is two files: 1) viewer_en.prc and 2)
SysZLib.prc. HotSync these to your device.
- For Pocket PC you will need to install Vade-Mecum. You can find the
latest download at
- For Sharp Zaurus and other Linux based PDAs, You will need to
download OpieReader at
- Set up MyWard to use JPluck by going to Tools -> Settings. Select
"Convert to Plucker format". Make sure the path is correctly mapped to
That's it. If you have any problems with these steps, please
me an email.
- In MyWard, from the menu option, select Tools --> Settings and make sure
"Convert to YanCEyWare Reader Format (.ybk)" is selected and click the
- Select your desired output options on the main screen and run the
- After the files are created there should be a file named MyWard.ybk in
your specified output folder. Place this document in your specified library
folder with all your other .ybk files on your Pocket PC. See
http://yanceyware.com/products/reader_installation.htm for more help on
Tips & Tricks:
- If you tend to create different files for different people, you can save
batch files create by the Windows application. For example. Say I create a
ward list for the bishop you prefers to use iSilo. He likes it to be
formatted with tables and include all the information possible. I also
create a directory for the young women president who only wants a ward
directory formatted without tables and converted to Plucker format. And last
I want one for myself in YanCEyWare format. I would use MyWard to select
each of the options. After pressing the convert button, a file is created
called MyWard.bat (usually located in C:\Program Files\MyWard). I would just
rename this to a more descriptive name. For example, after running the first
conversion I would rename MyWard.bat to "MyWard-iSilo-Sensitive.bat". I'd
rename the second conversion to "MyWard-Plucker-DirectoryOnly.bat" and the
third conversion to "MyWard-YanCEyWare-Custom.bat". As long as you are
consistent with where you load your latest MIS .DAT files you can just
double-click these batch files to create your new updated files!
If you find any of the ads displayed above offensive, please contact me
with the URL of the ad in question.